General Chat

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 
User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Codewalkers ForumsGeneralGeneral Chat

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Featured Thread Featured Thread  
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

Unread Codewalkers Forums Sponsor:
Old June 13th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Codewalkers Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 2 shikharkr User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 35 m 23 sec
Reputation Power: 0
php5 - Which php ide to use ?

Hi all,

I desperately wanted a good php debugger to work on and eventually buy it for my company. I also wanted to explore the possibility of opensource/ free softwares available. To my surprise and agony, I couldnít find articles which give a comprehensive view about PHP ides available and their advantages/drawbacks. I decided to try a few of ides myself, experience of which I am sharing here.

The first word which comes to the mind with the name of PHP ide is Zend. So yes I started with Zend Studio. Before talking about that, lets have a quick glance on the available ides:

version reviews price debugging

Zend studio 5.x extreme $299 Difficult to setup

maguma workbench 2.6.1 okay $102 -

phpedit 2.1 okay Ä 89 broken

Nushere PhpEd 5.x excellent $299 excellent

Activestate komodo IDE 4 excellent broken

PHP designer excellent Doubt if its there

I was on a hunt for an interactive debugger, not a fancy editor. By debugger I donít mean an internal debugger which can debug only one script at a time. By interactive debugger I mean the debugger which runs your project and interacts with your webserver or has a webserver of its own. As you will see later hardly any ide has a good off the shelf interactive debugger. I find it worth mentioning here that I tried all windows version ides only on my laptop which runs Windows XP professional.

Lets start the tour now.

1) Zend Studio

This was the first ide I lay my hands on. It appeared heavily loaded, and it is I believe. But I was interested in interactive debugging, so I started setting up the debugger and it was difficult and confusing, it had dependency like zend platform whose license price was not specified on the website. The manual didnít very clearly described how to set it up. I had a lot of energy at this point of time so I decided to move on to the next ide without wasting too much time on zend studio.

2) Maguma workbench

I decided to try out this before PhpEd because it was quite cheaper in the lot ($102). It has a free version also but that doesnít support php5. I downloaded 2.6.1 version and wanted to use it. But when I ran it I found that the project tab was missing which didnít allow me to create a project and so I was unable to use it. Also, it doesnít allow you to save files on trial version which is a great turn off.

3) Nusphere PhpEd

Next obvious ide to try out was Ė PhpEd. I installed it and used it without any difficulty for 15 days (it gives you a 15 days trial license). The editor is feature rich, you name it and its there Ė code folding, right click navigation, auto-complete etc. And the best part is the debugger. Thereís no need to setup an apache server with PHP and configure it with the ide. They have everything inbuilt in the ide, so all one has to do is install the ide and get started with debugging. It also has an ie toolbar which lets you make a choice from internet explorer when you want to debug and when you donít want. I didnít try out remote debugging, so canít comment anything on that.

As a critic, I could pinpoint only a few of the things missing:
a) Doesnít show the value of constant (which is defined by Define keyword) while debugging.
b) Donít show functions / classes for a particular script (visual studio style), although it has a separate window which lists all the functions and classes for a project.
c) The search in folder/project feature was not working Ė this could be a bug.

And the coolest thing about the trial version was that, you can keep using it even after the trial period expires. Only restriction is that the ide wonít open more than 50 debugging sessions.

4) PHPEdit

I was completely satisfied with PhpEd, but I wanted to check out PHPEdit for the same reason as maguma workbench - it was quite cheaper in the lot (Ä 89). Initial experience was good, nice interface and no need to install anything else. It comes with two debugging options : Xdebug and DBG.
XDebug is an opensource server extension. I created the project and when I tried debugging with Xdebug it hanged somewhere in the code and then nothing worked F8, F4, F7 nothing , so I stopped debugging and tried again, same error .. grrrÖ and it said nothing in the output window. I tried again with debugger option changed to DBG, but this time I got a popup saying "Session Start timeout has expired" and debugger stopped. I didnít want to waste my time on debugging a debugger so I thought to move on to another one. Before uninstalling, I thought I will give it one more try Ė last one. It hanged again but on a different line of code and I decided to give up.

I tried a few more ides which includes opensource / free ide. But I couldnít find anything impressive.

5) Activestate Komodo IDE

It uses XDebug for debugging. I couldnít make Xdebug work with the ide. Moreover it used to hang whenever I wanted to change the listener port. It is a single ide for many languages like perl, python etc. Interface was okay but not very impressive.

6) tsWebeditor version 20060920 : Opensource / free license

A cute light editor with support for debugging through Xdebug. But again here I was unable to make Xdebug work with it.

7) TruStudio version 1.0.1a : opersource / commercial license

It is built on eclipse platform. It comes with CPL license and has two flavors - professional and foundation.
TruStudio Professional requires a license and can be downloaded as a single package i.e., eclipse + TruStudio professional = less trouble.
TruStudio Foundation requires no license and can be downloaded freely. But to use it you need to download eclipse separately and install it + configure TruStudio foundation plugin with enclipse = lots of trouble.
If you want to use TruStudio Foundation, you have to do the necessary installation yourself. Itís a high probability that you will be using eclipse for the first time, so you have to waste your time learning how to install plugin into eclipse and get the foundation version up. And finally when u get it up and want to create a php project it gives u some crappy error. How frustrating!!!

Donít waste your time on professional version as it would let you download the package but you wonít be able to use it. It prompts for license all the time. And worse thereís no option for trial period, at least I couldnít find one.

At this point of point I was done with the ides I wanted to try. I didnít try phpdesigner as I presumed it didnít have an interactive debugger. So, as you see almost all the ides are sheer waste of time from debuggerís point of view. I finally decided to buy Nusphere PhpEd for my company and yes, PhpEd was the best experience for me. This whole exercise took around a month in which I used PhpEd trial version happily for 15 days.

I would highly recommend Nusphere PhpEd. Zend Studio could be a good option but I didnít check it out eventually. Also, if you happen to lay your hands on any of these and have a better experience, do let me know.

Happy Debugging!!!
Shikhar Kumar

Old June 13th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator
Codewalkers Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Posts: 1,722 icandothat User rank is Private First Class (20 - 50 Reputation Level)icandothat User rank is Private First Class (20 - 50 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 3 Days 9 h 33 m 11 sec
Reputation Power: 9
I think this qualifies as advertising. Shikhar I appreciate that your probably just trying to offer help but this forum is designed as a question and answer forum for PHP related issues. What you have posted falls more into the area of editorials.
I'll see If I can find a better place to post it.

Old June 14th, 2007, 03:11 AM

Posts: 2 shikharkr User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 35 m 23 sec
Yes Ican,

I know this wasnt a forum stuff. But I couldnt find any place in codewalkers where I could post this.

Do move this to a better place if you can.

thnx/shikhar

Old June 14th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator
Codewalkers Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Posts: 1,722 icandothat User rank is Private First Class (20 - 50 Reputation Level)icandothat User rank is Private First Class (20 - 50 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 3 Days 9 h 33 m 11 sec
Reputation Power: 9
I couldn't either. Maybe tutorials.

Old June 14th, 2007, 10:30 PM
"Forum Nazi"
Codewalkers Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Posts: 4,774 lig User rank is Private First Class (20 - 50 Reputation Level)lig User rank is Private First Class (20 - 50 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 4 Days 15 h 13 m 9 sec
Reputation Power: 12
I moved you to chat... others can take or leave your conclusions as they see fit.
strength in unity

PHPCommunity IRC
#phpc on freenode

Old June 15th, 2007, 06:01 AM

Posts: 6 Daiseki User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 3 h 29 m 28 sec
Thanks - most useful and informative

Really helped.

Old September 21st, 2007, 04:57 AM

Posts: 1 drummer User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 8 m 56 sec
Re: which php UDE do you use

Hi!
I tried only Zend Studio from your list. Had problems with setup
too. And 300$ is high price for it!

Recently have been suggested Codelobster Php edition (codelobster.com). The latest version (1.3) is not

bad.

Light (less then 5 mb), free. All for work with code. Highlighting for paired tags and brackets. Window with

list of all variables,functions and classes of the project (Class View).
An intelligent autocomplete for php and html, context and dynamic php, Mysql, HTML help.
Has Find & Replace dialogue.
The most helpful feature is integrated Debugger.
Locals window shows values of all variables while debugging. And there is also Call stack window.
And a word in favour of navigation through the project - possible to find declarations for defined functions,

classes within it.

Viewing: Codewalkers ForumsGeneralGeneral Chat > php5 - Which php ide to use ?

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: